It was Mexican Monday. I wasn't sure how tonight would go as far as cooking was considering I have started having much busier days lately. Not getting home until after 6 most days. Usually we are eating dinner by 6. However I did it!
I am also proud of myself for going from start to finish ALL BY MYSELF! (including grease splattering, which is something that frustrates me to no end, I do not enjoy the feeling when it hits my skin, in the past I have given the kitchen over to Walt at the first splatter)
I have made recipes so far that have been things that have made me think of my family. This week I was sent a recipe from my fantastic Aunt Robin! And man was it delicious. The recipe she sent was for Tortilla Pie. Which honestly if you know me you know how much I LOVE taco's/quesadillas. This meal was great. And all it took was a skillet pan and pan to bake the pie in. Easy easy clean up.
Ingredients:(the ones I used)
Taco Seasoning
1 lb ground beef
colby jack cheese
salsa
tortilla's(I used medium, which fit perfectly in my pan, large fit best in a regular pie pan though)
Sour cream(to serve with after baking)
Ingredients:(optional)
refried beans (which is a vegetarian option or an add on to the beef)
sliced black olives
jalapenos or green chiles chopped
This was a simple meal but delicious! You start by browning your meat and making the taco meat(as the package suggests)
After your meat is done you can start assembling your pie. Spray your pan with cooking spray so it is easier to remove the pie when ready to eat.
Your layers include:
1. Tortilla
2. taco meat(or alternating beans by layer or just beans)
3. cheese
4. salsa
Repeat until the meat is gone.
Add one more tortilla on top covering it with cheese
You then bake at 350 for just a few minutes until cheese has melted. It doesn't take long if your oven is rightly preheated.
Walt thought it was great. I thought it was wonderful. We both agree it will make great leftovers. I am so glad I did this all by myself. I had a great time cooking it and eating it.
Thanks Auntie R, can't wait to try your other recipe also :)
Just look at that perfect cross section of my dinner! I added sour cream to mine.
Walt added extra salsa, sour cream and some hot sauce!
Great great meal! I like that I have leftovers from Monday's that are healthier than pizza or leftover take out :) It makes for much healthier week. Enjoy your week.
Next up will be Crockpot Mac n Cheese(which again if you know me well you know my momma makes the BEST mac n cheese, I'm sure most of my friends would agree). More on that next week though when I make it. We will be traveling for Labor Day Weekend, I may make my weekly meal while we are there or later in the week when we are home.
Until next time!
Jamie
Jamie you did a wonderful job. This looks fabulous. I am so proud of you. And happy you liked the recipe.
ReplyDeleteMmm! Looks delicious! Hot grease splatter is scary. You're doing such a great job! Taco-Tortilla-Pie leftovers sound aaaamazing!
ReplyDelete