This weekend we had plans for Saturday but they changed so we spontaneously decided to go to Flat Rock, NC(Skytop Orchard) to pick apples, and then to Greenville, SC to enjoy the scenery.
All that to say this meal really started on Saturday, with some delicious apples. Walt and I made applesauce on Saturday after we got home from our long journey. We used granny smith, red delicious, cortland, ida red, and reds. We also picked some Jonagold apples. All of our apples have been fabulous so far.
I got to use an old family food mill that my momma gave me. Which made the applesauce even better :)
Applesauce:
Apples(listed above), enough to cover the bottom of our large pot about 3 1/2-4 inches deep
apple juice
sugar
cinnamon(to taste after cooking, per serving)
We boiled the apples in the apple juice and about a half cup of sugar(ours was sweet enough but you can add more sugar if necessary) until soft enough to purree.
Fantastic!
Tonight, I actually made Butter Chicken and Roasted Red Potatoes. It started raining right as we got home tonight so I was worried that after last weeks rain(no power) fiasco that it might happen again but we made it through. The rain fortunately, cooled it off in here some, because it was super hot with the oven going.
Butter Chicken:
enough butter to surround chicken in baking dish
chicken breast(recipe called for halved, I did a whole and cut it up afterwards)
garlic powder
salt
mustard powder
breadcrumbs
eggs, beaten
Mix the dry ingredients together.
Dredge the chicken in the egg and then coat with the breadcrumb mix.
I baked the chicken at 375 for 45 minutes but it was taking too long so I upped the temp to 400 for the last 20 minutes
After I got the chicken in I started on my potatoes, knowing they would take a little less time than the chicken.
Potatoes:
Red Potatoes, quartered
melted butter(enough to coat the amount of potatoes you are using, I used about 3 tablespoons)
garlic powder to taste
salt to taste
lemon juice( just a splash, it didn't take much)
mix all of the ingredients together and place in baking dish. put in the oven covered for the first 30 minutes. uncovered for the last 10 minutes. The recipe called for 350 but I was baking the chicken at 375 then 400 so that was what the potatoes cooked at. and it worked just fine.
I pulled the chicken and the potatoes out and cut the chicken in half for Walt and I to split. Added some potatoes to our plates, put the chicken on, and gave us each some applesauce with cinnamon as a topping.
Everything was fantastic! It will make for some great leftovers tomorrow for lunch!(it was a HUGE chicken breast, plus it was late so we didn't eat as much as usual)
Enjoy and have a great week!
This looks awesome. You just need some greens. :)
ReplyDelete